Friends
I am a common man like any one. I have my own dreams, comittments, expectations, aspirations, zealousies, frustrations like any other common man would have. I also love success, like to be in lime light, get depressed/ zealous when ignored.
I faced a big challange of handling a large team. This team was a diversified one. When I say diversified, I mean from various perspectives viz. gender, qualification, socio-economic background etc. Often they would induldge in wierd & immature arguments.
Initially, it became a challange to deal with such issues. Then I decided to encourage them resolve issues on their own. I would ask them to write their problems with the reason as to why it is hampering his work (eliminate personal issues from it) along with the possible reason why the other person would have been acting the way he is acting & causing a problem. Believe me, it worked & worked very well. How?
1- While writing the problems & the background, the thought process became structured
2- People were asked to eliminate personal issues & it resolved most of the problems!
3- People were forced to write other person's perspective. It helped all the three (two parties in conflict & me) actually know their understanding of the scenario & resolve the issue accordingly.
4- In case the issue was diagnosed to be immatured reaction, I forced them to sit in a close room & reach an agreement. i would no allow them to come out unless both of them reach an agreement (This actually worked in most of the cases)
5- I prohobited the use of word "Problem". The motto given was, "if there is a solution to a problem, there is no problem at all". Instead, word "Challange" was used.
6- Except for formal communications, internal mails were discouraged. People were encouraged to speak to each other - "Face to Face"
I believe the essence of working in any organization is "Man Management". This man can be an internal customer or an external customer.
Best way to resolve a dispute is to address it. A dispute can only be resolved if the party's to the dispute are willing it to be resolved. Next stage is arbitration & the last stage is litigation (in an organization, I would equate litigation with termination)
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment